Friday, January 30, 2009

pipl - searching for people

Today I heard about a search tool called pipl. It is a search engine that searches for information on people from places that Google may not search. The site explains:

Since most personal profiles, public records and other people-related documents are stored in databases and not on static web pages, most of the higher-quality information about people is simply "invisible" to a regular search engine.

What does a Pipl search look like?
Search results display a categorized one-page report with links to:

  • profiles on social networks (MySpace, Facebook, Friendster, Amazon, etc),
  • databases like Hoovers and LexisNexis
  • the Security and Exchange Commission
  • Web pages
  • published documents
  • blog posts
  • Flickr (and other) photo portals
  • public records (including property records)
  • vital stats databases
The report also summarizes “quick facts” about the person searched.

So are you wondering what is out there about you? Or how about that biography project you have to do? Want to get some different information from the rest of the class? Give pipl a try.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think its scary that all this information is on the internet. Anybody could use it to steal another persons identity.

Anonymous said...

I agree; there is way too much information on the internet about the given person. I searched for a few of my friends and even my church pastor and I was able to dig way into their past. I didn't find anything bad of course but just the idea that you can find out so much about someone without even meeting them is scary.